I signed up for Kevin's Cup as a fun way to end my 2012 race season! Anna found this race a couple weeks before and it just looked like to much fun to pass up! We signed up and started looking for mustaches!
Unfortunately, Anna strained her back and it was just me out there on the course. Lucky for me, Jay actually decided to cheer me on.
These people are hardcore! There were mustaches everywhere, on men and women! There was costumes, and face paint, barefoot runners and lots of happiness everywhere.
After shivering in the car for about an hour, we were ready to start. It was cold and it took a bit to get warmed up. But what a fun course! This takes place at the Mary S.Young Start in West Linn. The race starts off innocently enough with a gently climb to the entrance of the park and then a slight downhill jaunt back down to the river. After you pass by the finish area (you do this 3 times), you head down switch backs and hard turns down towards the Willamette. You cross slippery bridges and go up a couple of stair ways and hills and then back down to a spot where you need to decide whether you are sloshing through the river or picking your way to jump across to then traverse dry riverbed filled with large and small rocks! After crossing this small island you make your way back up the hill and spend the next mile or so, up and down, switchbacking. This part was hard, but I love me some uphills and took full advantage of passing those who choose to walk.
After looping this 2.5 times, we got to race the gentle downhill back to the start. I let a nice gentleman pace me for a bit, then did some of the work for him, before he passed me and finished. It was great to be done! That course is awesome but it is a hard, hard workout!
Since I had Jay with me, we skipped the post race festivities and headed to Starbucks and then home to the kids. I can't wait until next year when I'll have Anna with me and we can stay and enjoy the after party. I have a feeling it might be pretty crazy!!!
Do this race if you want a challenge and want to feel your lungs and legs burning! Also, do it for the sweet swag! I love a good pint glass or coffee cup!
No comments:
Post a Comment