| 50K! |
Done.
Finally Done.
Months and miles of training.
All to complete my first, notice I said "first", 50K.
This challenge was almost more mental than it was physical. I knew going into it I couldn't race it or I would pay. The goal was to finish, maybe even a little faster than most people expect to finish. And, I did. It took quite a bit of will power to get through miles 24-26. Those three were the hardest by far. After that, I couldn't slow down and walk because mentally, I am tough and I knew I wanted to finish and eat and be done. So, I shuffled. And came in with a chip time of 5:32. My Nike watch says 5:25 which means between adjusting my sock a couple times, stopping to say hi to my cute crew and spending a couple minutes at the aid stations; I spent 7 minutes not moving forward.
Lap 1 -
Each lap was 10.3 miles long. The hardest part of this is there are people running one, two and three laps. The people running one lap ran and it was hard for this novice to reign it in. I have heard so many people tell me to walk the uphills and save your legs for all the miles. But, I disregarded this valuable advice in the first lap. I ran and passed and ran, even up Achilles Hill which shouldn't be ran up in the middle of a 31 mile run. The course is absolutely gorgeous. It traverses through the well groomed paths of Point Defiance Park. There are beautiful looks over Puget Sound towards Gig Harbor and Vashon Island. It was pretty evenly distributed between the well groomed paths and trails that looks suspiciously like the game paths I've hiked in the mountains before. The aid station is located behind Fort Nisqually and was manned by the three sweetest women I've ever seen! My first rookie mistake came in passing up this aid station on lap one and realizing a mile later my fuel wasn't in my bag! I figured I would grab something from the aid station at the start/finish. The first lap finished with my first time down Nelly's Gnarly Descent, a hill so steep they string a guide rope down.
| Clean - Before Picture! |
Official First Lap 1:39:50
Lap 2 -
The second lap began with me confused about were aid was, so rookie mistake number 2, I just kept running. Turns out it was under the picnic shelter were everyone who was finished were hanging out. I stopped about a mile later to untie my shoes and readjust my socks. They kept slipping under my heel. I'd have this problem the entire race and it resulted in a nice blister on my heel. I saw Jay and the kids camped out at the play area at mile 11. They looked snug and cozy in the tent. They also only had raspberries to offer and not wanting to offend my stomach, I passed and kept sipping on my water, resolved to hit up the aid at 15 miles. The next 5 miles went well with some words of advice from a couple 100 milers(this included more walk the uphills advice). Since, these runners looked strong and finished well ahead of me, this advice seems sound. I got to the aid station and indulged in three cups of Gatorade and Lay's potato chips for the salt and took a few chocolates and peanut butter cookies. The chips went down well and I spent the next couple miles dodging a pack of three dogs chasing each other through the no leash part of the park. The unconcerned owners didn't seem to care that people were tripping over their dogs while trying to run the trails. I was feeling really well hydrated and although hungry, the idea of eating those peanut butter cookies didn't seem good. I could feel myself slowing down a bit but kept thinking I was almost 2/3 done.
Official Second Lap 1:46:55
Lap 3 -
The lovely lady taking off timing chips told me I looked strong and she would see me in a couple hours. My goal for this lap was to try and get in in two hours. I really wanted to finish in under 6 and this gave me a lot of wiggle room. I saw Jay and the kids again at 21 miles and dropped my camel bak. I just did not want to carry it any longer. I felt well hydrated and was sure I would be okay getting to mile 25 and the aid station. I grabbed a Lara Bar from Jay to munch on during that time and took off determined to finish. In just a couple miles I kept hoping to see an uphill so I could walk. Mile 24 had me walking out a cramp just north of my knee. I've had this cramp one other time and it locked up my entire leg for about 5 minutes. I was able to walk through it and make it very slowly to the aid station. At the aid station this time I went for 3 more cups of Gatorade, a slice of watermelon, more chocolate and a handful of chips. The medics were there and stated they had been treating plenty of people for cramps. I said my good byes and thanked the volunteers and headed out to get done. There were a couple big uphills after this aid station and after those few walk breaks I found myself in a stubborn shuffle sort of run the rest of the way down. About mile 27, I stepped on a big pointy rock and bruised my right arch pretty well. The pain was radiating up my leg the last 3 miles but that stubborn mind of mine was in charge and my slow jog continued. I was so happy to see the finish after my last descent down Gnarly's Nelly!
Official Last Lap 2:05:17
Offical Overall Time 5:32:03
First Place Age Group Award
7th Overall Woman
24th Overall Place
| After - Not bad! A little wet and a little dirty! |
Post race was a catered picnic from a local BBQ joint. You had a choice of pulled pork, pulled chicken or smoked salmon caesar salad. It was a great spread! I picked up a plate and headed to the car just as the downpour started. We headed to Starbucks for a Salted Caramel Mocha and then headed home for rest and recovery!
| Yum! |
Not a bad finish for my first 50K. The aftermath isn't pretty. It's a pretty painful hobble I still have due to the really tight calf muscles. I think mostly due to navigating trails on the balls of my feet and really using those muscles. I also think with more fuel and electrolytes my recovery could have been a bit different. But, it just gives me things to work on for the next. Yes, I said next.
| Cool Swag! |
| Love Coffee Cups! |
Not, surprisingly, I'm already contemplating another. It's hard not to when the trails are so beautiful and the attitude is so relaxed! I was able to finish and finish with a smile on my face! Now, If only I could find flat trails!
And last but not least - a super HUGE thanks to my husband, family and Anna for all the confidence and child care! I could not have done it without any of you!!!
Congratulations on your first 50K! Sounds like it went really well.
ReplyDeleteBetter than I imagined!
DeleteWoo-hoo! Great job! What a huge accomplishment.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Linda!!!
DeleteGood work! I'm thinking about this run for next year. My plan is to make it through a marathon first. :)
ReplyDeleteIf you don't do a marathon first consider the 15 or 30K. This course is gorgeous and they take great care of you!
DeleteThanks! Your race recap was great to read. I love races over that way... reminds me of college days.
DeleteAmazing! Looks like you had quite an adventure. Hope the foot and rock injury heals up quickly!
ReplyDeleteI would do this race just for the FOOD! :)
Thanks, Raina! The food was great!!! And the bruise is going away fast!
DeleteGlad to hear you are getting better! What is the next one you are thinking of?
ReplyDelete